Wow! WordCamp PHX 2014 was so packed full of great knowledge and for only $50.00.
I took the following sessions:
- There’s No Place Like Local
- Learning Web Design via WordPress – this was a great session where we learned how to implement different coding and design child themes. Customizing your WordPress site is key!
- Security Best Practices – another great session and BJH Designs is implementing all the best security practices on all current and new WordPress sites for our clients. Maintaining a secure site is important to us!
- Creating Mobile Apps in WordPress: Tips, Tricks and More! – this was a great resource to learn about mobile apps. Look for a mobile app from BJH Designs sometime in the future.
- Managing Client Expectations from Start to Finish
- Wooing Ecommerce with WordPress – Using WooCommerce to maintain and add a shopping cart is a great way to add revenue to your site.
- Blogging & Social Media Horror Stories – This was a great crash course on the legalities of blogging and social media. Let’s not get sued!
My main takeaways were:
- Local hosting is a must if you don’t want to make live site updates
- Coding can be fun, especially when manipulating WordPress templates.
- Security is a MUST! Make your email password long and strong, don’t use the same password for everything, update plugins and themes.
- A mobile app would be awesome! How do I do that again?
- I can’t wait to set up a shopping cart for a new client using WooCommerce
- I don’t want to be sued – must instill important Social Media practices.
I learned a lot more then above but don’t want to give away all my notes!